I started my day troubleshooting a Windows 7 SP1 client which couldn’t install a specific printer.
The same printer could be installed on other computers, both physical and virtual.
After verifying that the server (Windows 2008 R2) was not the issue I started looking into the computer configuration.
The eventlog did not show any other issues besides the printer issue.
I verified that the current user was indeed local administrator.
When browsing the Printserver from the client and trying to connect to the printer I received Error 0x00000006.
I then tried to add the printer as TCP/IP, but then I got the 0x00000002 error instead!
The conclusion I came to was that it must be a driver issue on the client machine.
To delete drivers on a client you should use the built-in PrintUI-program.
Running the following command will take you to the appropriate setting:
printui.exe /s /t2
Delete the driver of the printer model you’re trying to install:
Try to reinstall/redistribute the printer and make sure it succeeds.
If the issue persists I recommend deleting the following registry-key and restarting the Printer Spooler-service:
If this post helped you, or if you’re still having problems let me know!